Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wounded Knees

God chose to give me wounded knees.

After a thorough personal bath, I found myself counting the scars around my body and I noticed that my knees had the most number of scars—big and ugly scars. I was really never flawless—a fact that is not worth of debate or argumentation. Then memories came pouring out like rain. I recollected on the times I got wounded. I remember most of them were from running and chasing and scampering around.

Having wounded knees has a deeper connotation now that I have grown up. At the age of 25, I got numerous wounds in my knees, which subtly healed. Twenty-five years of finding my destiny, enjoying life, suffering pains and a lot more truly gave me scars. Especially today, at the most trying time of my life, I know, my knees are bleeding. Let me share this beautiful story with you:

Three men met an accident one day and their souls immediately went up for the final judgment. St. Peter gave them all a warm welcome. Suddenly, God appeared before them. Johnnie, John and Juan faced their Creator with glowing enthusiasm. However, they were surprised when God looked and touched their knees instead of opening the book of life. In a minute, God invited Juan to join Him in His paradise while the other two went to Purgatory. In amazement, Juan asked the Lord why his knees of all the body parts. God answered, “Scarred people are beautiful people. Your ticket is your scarred knee; healed by your prayers and touched by My Hands.”

See? Friends, this is the point of this article: sometimes we feel so down because we are burdened by the invisible wounds and scars life gives. It’s not really easy to be in difficult times like giving up even your faith may sound as the last resort. Fellows, I learned my lesson. If God is giving me wounds and scars, I must look at it positively. Jesus Himself had countless wounds and scars. at least, I join Him in His suffering thousands of years ago. Of the many speaking engagements I had, I’d have to say, 7 out of 10 people really would question why man suffers. Honestly, I also asked the same question and will ask the same question soon. As of the moment, I find solace from the people who told me that my own sufferings are the manifestations of the relationship I have with my Maker. I remember my Religion teacher in St. Paul University who told us that the heavier your cross is, the closer you are to Jesus because you share the burden of the Cross. Human as we are, sometimes, we do not understand why life seems unfair and tough and that all we have to do is cry and pour out. Personally, in every problem that I encounter, yes, I ask the Lord and I even challenge Him but I end up sleeping right on His arms. As I pray, I ask Him to give me His trials, one by one.

I wish to end this article with a text message that I really find suitable. It says, “We run so fast to reach our dreams and sometimes we fall on the ground…but don’t despair, because the most successful people are those with wounded knees…”

May God give comfort to all our sorrows.

No comments: