Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Parable of the Ugly Chocolate

When was the last time I wrote?

This question popped up from my mind after an excessively long absence that I made due to bulky and numerous loads I had both from family and school. Nevertheless, here I am, trying to get the best comeback topic I can write about. As I am trying to put all the motivators inside my mind, I am enjoying this piece of chocolate given by Sr. Marissa. Then that’s it; I decided to write about this food-for-the-gods thingamajig that is used by lovers, friends, relatives, acquaintances and almost all the people around the globe as an expression of feelings—chocolates!

In a box, a group of chocolates were so excited to see the world. Clothed in colorful dressing and decors, each chocolate stood so proud as they showed off their inviting looks to people. Tales have it that chocolates inside a box actually compete as who’s the first to be picked is the best chocolate of them all. Of course, each one is really tasked to look elegant, stylish, mouth-watering and pleasing to the taste buds of a Master.

“I shall be the first to get up and satisfy my Master as my colors are radiantly stunning,” says one chocolate.

“This size of mine will tempt the loving taste of His Majesty,” insists the other.

“Hear ye, hear ye,” another one yells out “I shall bear the best chocolate crown with this perfectly poised position and my Master shall fall to His knees and give thanks!”

In a corner, one sad chocolate just observed the excited few. She looked at herself and found out that she was broken into pieces. It was then that the rest of the chocolates started calling her names and eventually tagged her the Ugly Chocolate. That made her down for a moment. Tears never stopped flowing from her eyes and fear of being thrown away bothered her.

Then the Master, with some little children came. He opened the golden basket where He found a box of delicious-looking chocolates. Indeed, He picked the radiantly stunning chocolate first; but He did not eat it, He gave it to a boy. Then He picked another one, this time, the chocolate with tempting size. It was so happy but the Master didn’t eat it, He gave it to a girl. The Master’s third choice was the well-poised chocolate. No, He did not eat it but He gave it to chocolate-eating sparrow. The Master has not eaten yet and everything was already given away except for one—the Ugly Chocolate. The Master noticed the broken pieces of this chocolate and even more, He noticed the sobbing face of it.

“What’s wrong my dear?” He asked.

“I never have the right to feed your hunger, my Majesty. Look, I’m broken and picking me up by pieces will only waste Your precious time…” defended the ugly chocolate.

“Oh, my dear, don’t feel that way. Don’t you know that I intentionally chose you to be the last?”

“Really?????” replied the chocolate, this time in an uglier face.

“Yes, it’s because I’m going to pick you by pieces and mold you again by My Hands so that you will become a renewed, beautiful and the most precious chocolate of them all,” replied the Master.

Then the Master dried the chocolate’s tears, picked her up by pieces and reformed her right in the Master’s Hands.

So, how do you find my self-made story? Dear friends, in the many instances that I failed to write, I still had that desire to write about one more epidemic disease among humans—judgmental attitude. I don’t know how this disease has become so widespread that it created a very wide gap among peoples. History has it that discriminations and brutal judgments among the blacks and whites brought about weapons of destructions. Judgments caused demonstrations and rallies. Inferiorities ignited civil attacks. And many more…

Friends, tomorrow’s joy is fathered by today’s acceptance. Acceptance even of the least thing that we can alter, for the mean time. These words will help us erase the existence of ugly chocolates in our society. When we accept people as the way we accept ourselves, there shall never be a room for rivalries, chaos, insecurities and all their demonic forces. A lot of our religious leaders have been encouraging us to become instruments of making our brothers and sisters realize God’s loving Hands through our own acceptance. Martin Luther King Jr.’s words were so powerful that even today it is remembered and treasured.. “I have a dream, that people should be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character…”

I have a dream, that you who have read this article will close your eyes, ask for forgiveness of the many judgments you made and patch up for that wrong doing. I have a dream that you too, will pass this on and in that way, you can become a historical part of making this world the most beautiful chocolate.

Please make that dream come true…

No comments: