Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Against the Sin, not the Sinner

If God will despise all the sinners of this world, I suppose, everyone would go crazy running after His mercy.

After a series of emotional trials brought about by inevitable circumstances, I decided to write about human imperfection and how fellows must react to it. This article may sound religious but it is actually not. For once, allow me to write about those creatures (I’m actually doubting whether they are humans or not) that are totally animalistic and for once let me awaken them to their long sleep where no handsome prince can wake them up except themselves.

Our main point is on committing a mistake. Mistakes are natural; they spice up human life. Without mistakes, you would not know, which is the right one. Without it, you wouldn’t be able to point out which is the preferable one. In my classroom, whenever I commit mistakes like mispronunciation and grammatical massacre, I don’t hide myself. In all honesty, I accept it and tell my students that I am happy that I have committed mistakes because it is my own celebration of my human imperfection. I end up fulfilled, happy and clean. I have a comment on how the world judges mistakes. For some people, mistakes are the total person itself. For them, committing one is just like losing the precious life. However, some treat mistakes as incompetence, incapability, malfunctioning of system, abnormality and all the negative terms you could think of that clearly view the opposite of normal. How is that? They insult mistakes and they add insult to the injuries of mistakes. Instead of patching up the wrongdoing, they find glory in proclaiming the wrongdoing and even grabbing the opportunity to reign in power out of these mistakes. This is how the ancient people call it—self-gratification out of disaster. What does the Bible say? We must forgive seventy times seven. I am not tolerating mistakes but I am actually pointing out that mistakes are not valid reasons for a person to be crucified.

This is one thing that actually makes me feel confused. There are many people who go to Church every Sunday and even every day yet, forgiving is one such humble thing that they cannot do. Jesus Himself never despised the sinners; He loves the sinners so much that He gave His own Life to save them. Why did He heal the blind? Why did He heal lepers? Why did He make friends with prostitutes and tax collectors? They are sinners! This reality tells us that even how heavy one’s sin is, a loving heart is always strong to carry it. I like it very much when an author once wrote, “Everyone is entitled to commit mistakes yet everyone is privileged of second chances.” Our mistakes are our roads to better lives. If we lose the hold of people because of their mistakes, we can never hold one for eternity because nobody in this entire world is perfect enough to please one.

This is probably the reason why the term HAND came to exist. Lending a helping hand to the broken-hearted, sharing a comforting hand to the oppressed and offering a consoling hand to the hopeless can surely erase the bad effects of counting the sheep instead of blessings.

Friends, think of this, Jesus said, and you have to follow Him, DESPISE THE SIN, NOT THE SINNER!

No comments: