Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chasing Greener Pastures

“Whew! What a day!”

That was the only reaction that I made after days of being bedridden and left all alone at the house while the rest of my fellow teachers enjoy the summer heat in the beautiful Boracay Island. Adding insult was the nostalgia I felt when I looked at my room at my boarding house where no other creature except roaches bathing the thickening dust remained. My best friend Maricon left for Bahrain and some of my board mates are nowhere to be found.

Separation—this was the theme of my thinking on that day. Getting detached from your love ones or your loved work place all for the sake of greener pastures truly can make someone with weak emotional armor go crazy. To be honest, there were a number of times when I attempted to look for greener pastures. Work abroad, earn dollars, fly, work and then after a few years, come back and treat the entire world! That is always on my mind even up to this writing. However, I came to realize that letting go of a major life component is part of chasing greener pastures. I remember the countless times when I had to sit with Maricon and dry her tears up and comfort her because of her sad anticipations. Truly, it never was easy. Then came the end of the school year when she really had to say good-bye to all of us. Now, she is in Bahrain, looking for that greener pastures.

Then I recollected. Why people need to get out of the country and sacrifice relationships? Here are my top reasons: First, because the Philippine government cannot support the families here especially the highly increasing prices of commodities. Second, there are no opportunities in the Philippines. Yes, there are jobs here but they are not opportunities of growth but only a tentative support for hunger and thirst. Only highly qualified individuals with strong backers (political allies and/or sons or daughters of the ones corruptly seated) can fill the major vacancies of today. Third, our workers are concerned of the future. They know that if they will stay in the Philippines, it is as if they have submitted their children to crucifixion and death. That’s an exaggeration though at a certain parameter an exact expression.

The exodus of great Filipinos is never good news for a country, trying to get over crises. Manpower. This is the only thing that can help save our country. The bad news there is when these Filipinos get out, they have the tendency to settle down there and never come back to the Philippines.

I remember, when we were yet little kids, we cast our dreams of serving our own country and make every Filipino family live better lives. We dream of simple living and generous giving. Now, ask ten children on their ideas about working and chances are, you would get eight answers saying they want to work abroad and settle down there instead of living a life of hell in this country. That’s not to be blamed since these children are aware of what is ongoing. They know the flaws of our government and they themselves feel the pressure and that all they got to do is to get over it through their desires of leaving the country.

Truly, chasing greener pastures is like gambling. You have to give your all and hope for better yields. As it takes a lot of money, effort, prayers and sacrifices, the hope of making it big abroad comes like a light in a dark room.

No comments: