Tuesday, January 22, 2008

THE BEST CHOICE

I was in Grade III when I started to love teaching.

I attended an information campaign conducted by Metrobank Foundation, Inc., in their search for possible applicants for this year’s search for Outstanding Teachers. When Sister Principal told me to join the forum, I was a bit confused because what I knew is that Metrobank nominees are basically old, retiring and caliber teachers of today. I am only 24 and my sense of shock started to ignite when I entered the Jordan Room of Bethel filled with really experienced and superior teachers. What is this little boy doing here? I asked myself. For compliance’s sake, I sat down and tried to love the show.

I became interested when I saw the people in the presidential table, no less than Vice Mayor William Ablong, Dumaguete Division Schools Superintendent Dr. Carmelita Dulangon, previous awardees and some other personalities. I looked at them with extreme pride being part of the crowd. The forum started and the testimonials started to fill the airs of room as well as some words of encouragement from the prominent guests. Sitting down there I again pondered on some points.

Teachers are seldom given recognition. True. Undeniable. I remember that poem in English literature where the persona grieves over the appreciation given to lords and masters while the ones who did the dirty work are left forgotten and missed. I must not speak more about appreciation going to teachers because I myself am a teacher and I don’t want to sound biased. Personally, I agree that teachers are most of the time deprived of standing tall in their respective pedestals. Anyway, my defense mechanism, if I may share, is the story about St. Peter making the teacher be the first in the line for making it possible for the world to produce some other professionals.

So much for that, what I am very interested in writing about is the recognition that Metrobank gives to exemplary teachers. When we were oriented on the selection process, criteria and challenges, I commented that one should really be a totally devoted teacher before aiming that high. I was teary-eyed when Mrs. Despojo, an awardee of 2002, shared the word LOVE as the key to an effective teaching. Truly, one cannot give what one doesn’t have. It takes a teacher to love his work before he could give love to the class.

I ended saying I salute the awardees and even wished to have the award someday. Now that I am too young for the award, I just complemented myself by a prayer for God’s Divine Providence every time I enter my classroom. I know, one doesn’t have to win as many awards as the world can give before he could be an effective teacher. The real score is on how you deal with day-to-day struggle. I quote “ Teaching may not make one popular but what is essential is the buckets of diamonds found in the hearts of the students.” This line is very timely. Sometimes, because of worldly pleasures and pressures, we teachers miss the essence of teaching—the human person, a total formation thru education.

I hope our awardees will continue to inspire teachers of today. I also hope that our government will give more attention to our teachers such that they will be more active and dedicated in forming and molding future leaders. I cannot imagine how this world looks without our teachers!

It’s honestly a good thing that I started to love teaching when I was still 8. From funny acts of teaching and checking and writing and reading, I realized that this is my field. I may not be a perfect teacher, one who doesn’t deserve an award but I am glad that at least one day, I chose to be in a field where love is given unconditionally. Friends, I tell you, if you are torn between choices, look up and He will give you the better one and in fact the best one…the best choice!

No comments: