Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Understanding Love Better

I wrote this article the day before hearts grew bigger and livelier.

Valentine’s Day…one of the most awaited seasons of the year especially for lovers and seekers. I admit it, I feel jealous whenever I hear friends of mine sharing their experiences after the hearts’ day. Every time I see some red roses on this day, my antagonistic instinct ignites, whose burial is it? Or when sweet chocolates beautify the table of a pretty colleague, sarcasms fill the air; go ahead, tonsillitis is just around the corner!

That was my immaturity though. Now, I am a part of the millions of creatures around the world who wait for this day. Sincerely, I do wait not because I have a partner but because I have a better understanding of love. No, I am not a super duper caliber romantico, I just learned from my friends. (If I were to enumerate my lessons, this space wouldn’t be enough.)

On this day, I thought of sharing some of the most essentials of life and loving, which are left unattended. I am referring to those basic ways of life that we must follow when we finally decided to love. First and foremost, loving is a commitment not a trial-and-error game. Commitment, in a deeper note, is giving your self entirely to the person, of course with reservations if marriage is still not in the plan. I mean when we commit we give our word of honor the chance to prove it. I read Bo Sanchez’s book and I was amazed by the reality that he opened to me. He said that he himself was confused why on the wedding day, the bride seems to be the most beautiful princess while the groom is the most handsome prince of the entire planet. Happiness is immeasurable during this time. However, a spell comes when after years of being together, the bride becomes a broom-riding witch while the groom turns out to be a foul-smelling frog. How sad! There is a way to break the chain—and this is what I want to point out as well. Everyday greeting of I Love You. Please do not forget, love expressed is like a river freely flowing without knowing how far it will go. There are many expressions of love, a kiss, a hug, a walk in the park, a movie treat, a salu-salo, washing the clothes together, or the most powerful of all, going to Church together. Some people find this impossible to do because of money. Money is not the issue my friends, you don’t have to spend just for your partner to realize how much you love him/her. However you do it, go ahead, express your love; the world cannot hold you from doing this. This is your privilege and you are gifted to feel this way.

I dedicate this last part to all the SISAs in the world, (single and satisfied; single by choice not by chance, please). Even if I have no partner as of this writing, I am still waking up in the early mornings of all the Valentine’s Days of my life gratefully in-love. Why? This is because I love my SELF. A classical song said it, learning to love yourself, it is the greatest love of all. I am as excited as everyone else. I’ll buy roses and chocolates for my self. This is one way of making myself ready to fall in love because I believe for the world to love you, you must learn how to love the inner YOU first and rest will follow. Friends, it is true that life nowadays is very hard and stiff but this is not a reason for us to stop loving and eventually fall to misery and distress. There are a lot of things in life that can make us happy and even happier. These things are even God’s simple proofs of love; they are life’s grandest prizes. Many of us miss these prizes because we choose the worldly ones—money, car, luxury, awards, properties and all. We may not be able to grasp all of these but do not ever forget that we are all eligible for life’s small treasures—a pat on the back, a good word, a hug, a full moon, a glorious sunset, a smile from an acquaintance, an empty parking space, a good joke, a great meal, a hot soup, a cold drink, an ice cream, a thank you, a happy birthday and so much more! There are many ways for life to be happy. Friends, pick these tiny little blessings and you’ll find out how much love you have been enjoying.

This Valentine’s Day, my wish goes to all who were too blind to see the brighter side of life. Even if it is not Valentine’s Day everyday but His love has been pouring like a flood. It’s about time to erase the earthly prizes that only cause misery and vain and it’s your time to count on love everywhere by enjoying life’s tiny blessings, which are plenty for you and for me.

Happy Hearts’ Day everyone!

No comments: